Pictorial History of Worcester State College

Worcester Normal School 1874-1932: Worcester State College, founded in 1874 as the State Normal School at Worcester, was established for the sole purpose of preparing teachers “for our public schools.” The original four-story gothic structure stood on St. Ann’s Hill (now the site of City View Elementary School). The school was distinguished by its progressive curriculum, established under the leadership of its first principal, E. Harlow Russell (1874 – 1909), and first apprentice supervisor, Rebecca Jones (1874-1912). Both were proponents of the Child Study Movement. Worcester Normal School closed when the new building on Chandler Street opened in 1932. That same year, the school was rechristened Worcester State Teachers College. In 1963, the institution’s name was changed to Worcester State College as the school evolved to meet the diverse needs of a changing society.

Basketball team.
Rachel Faugno