Downloading and Installing Audacity
In order to use Audacity to produce MP3 audio files, you need to
download two components: the Audacity application itself; and the LAME encoder,
which enables you to save your work in MP3 format.
- Visit http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
- Find the latest non-beta version of Audacity (what
you are looking for is the latest version for Windows XP/Vista.
- Download the the Audacity installer to your
desktop. The Audacity installer will be a file that ends with
- Double-click on the the Audacity installer file
and follow the default prompts.
- When done, launch Audacity to make sure that it
has installed correctly on your system.
- Now that you have Audacity installed on your
computer, you need to download the LAME encoder so that you can sale your
files in MP3 format. You can download the LAME encoder by right-clicking
here and selecting the Save Target
option. Save the LAME file to your
desktop so that it is easy for you to fine.
- You're almost done; al that remains is to
imported the LAME encoder into Audacity.
- Launch Audacity and create a sample audio file
by clicking on the red button to record. When done recording, click on
the brown button.
- Go to Audacity's File menu item and select
the Export as MP3 option. Give your file a name, and then click
- Clicking Save will display a pop-up box
asking if you want to save the file in MP3 format; select
- Selecting Yes will display another pop-up
window. In this window, select Yes again.
- Selecting Yes in the second pop-up window
will display a file search window. Find the LAME encoder file (which you
probably have save to your desktop, as instructed above). Click on the
encoder file (it will end with DLL), and then select Open.
- A pop-window titled, Edit the ID3 tags will be
displayed; just click OK.
- Clicking OK saves your test file in MP3 format
and the LAME encoder has been imported into Audacity. From this point
forward, you will not be asked to find the LAME DLL--you will be able to
directly export audio files into MP3 format.