Worcester State University


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is eligible to use the Counseling Center services?
A: Any undergraduate Worcester State student enrolled on a part-time or full-time basis.

Q: Do I have to pay?
A: No. The services of the Counseling Center are free to all WSU undergraduate students.

Q: How do I know if I need counseling?
A: Counseling is appropriate for anyone who is troubled by a specific problem or has a general concern. Students seek counseling for personal growth, increased self-awareness, self-esteem, anxieties, depression, family and interpersonal issues, as well as for acute problems or crises.

Q: When is the Counseling Center open?
A: Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Q: Is the Counseling Center open during the summer?
A: Yes. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Q: Will my contact with the Counseling Center be confidential?
A: The information shared in a counseling session is confidential and will not be disclosed to any persons or organization outside the Counseling Center without written consent, unless it is to protect you or someone else from imminent harm, or in cases of child or elder abuse, or if ordered by a court.

Q: What if I feel suicidal or as if I can't cope?
A: Please call the Counseling Center immediately and tell the receptionist that your call is urgent. If you feel suicidal or in crisis, and the Center is not open, call University Police at 508-929-8911. If you are off campus, call 911 immediately.

Q: What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?
A: You can ask the receptionist to set up a consultation to discuss what is happening with your friend and what you might be able to do to help. If you think your friend is in crisis, call immediately.

Q: Does the Counseling Center provide academic counseling?
A: No, the Academic Success Center and/or your academic advisor, provide these services. Counselors do aid students in coping with academic stress and referring students to the areas on campus that may help contribute to greater academic success.

Q: Does the Counseling Center provide career counseling?
A: No, Career Services , at 508-929-8072, provides career counseling to undergraduate students.

Related Links
  Sexual Assault Policy
  Sexual Assault Information and Resources
  Active Minds
  WSU's Active Minds on Facebook

DataBridge © WSU, 486 Chandler Street, Worcester, MA 01602
Phone: 508-929-8000